Registration of Pest Control Products (continued)
Re-evaluation and Special Review (continued)
Marginal note:Cancellation or amendment
(a) the registrant fails to satisfy a requirement under subsection 16(3) or 18(1) or paragraph 19(1)(a); or
(b) in the course of a re-evaluation or special review, the Minister has reasonable grounds to believe that the cancellation or amendment is necessary to deal with a situation that endangers human health or safety or the environment, taking into account the precautionary principle set out in subsection (2).
Marginal note:Precautionary principle
(2) Where there are threats of serious or irreversible damage, lack of full scientific certainty shall not be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to prevent adverse health impact or environmental degradation.
Marginal note:Rescission of action
(3) The Minister may rescind any action taken under subsection (1) if the circumstances that prompted it cease to exist.
Marginal note:Refusal to consider applications
(4) If the registration of a pest control product is cancelled or amended under paragraph (1)(a), the Minister may, for a prescribed period, refuse to consider any application made in respect of that product by the registrant.
21 (1) If the Minister considers that the health and environmental risks and the value of a pest control product are acceptable after any required evaluations and consultations have been completed, the Minister shall confirm the registration.
Marginal note:Amendment or cancellation
(2) If the Minister does not consider that the health or environmental risks or value of a pest control product are acceptable, the Minister shall
Marginal note:Delay of effective date
(3) The Minister may delay the effective date of the amendment or cancellation if
Marginal note:Conditions on delay
(4) A delay is subject to any conditions that the Minister considers necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Continued possession, etc., of existing stocks
(5) When cancelling the registration of a pest control product under this section or any other provision of this Act, the Minister may
(a) allow the continued possession, handling, storage, distribution and use of stocks of the product in Canada at the time of cancellation, subject to any conditions, including disposal procedures, that the Minister considers necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act;
(b) require the registrant to recall and dispose of the product in a manner specified by the Minister; or
(c) seize and dispose of the product.
Other Grounds for Cancellation or Amendment
Marginal note:Discontinuation of sale of product
22 (1) A registrant who intends to discontinue the sale of a pest control product for one or more uses for which it is registered shall notify the Minister of that intention in the form and manner directed by the Minister.
Marginal note:Reasons for discontinuation
(2) The Minister may deliver a notice in writing to the registrant requiring the registrant to explain the reasons for the discontinuation.
Marginal note:Cancellation or amendment of registration
(3) On receipt of notification under subsection (1), the Minister shall cancel or amend the registration, as the case may be, as of a date to be determined by the Minister and, pending that date, may impose any conditions that the Minister considers necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Non-payment of fees, fines, etc.
(2) Before taking any action under subsection (1) in relation to charges or costs, the Minister shall give the registrant a reasonable opportunity to make representations.
(3) The Minister shall immediately give written notice to the registrant of any action taken under subsection (1) and of the reasons for the action.
Marginal note:Amendment with consent
24 The Minister may, with the written consent of the registrant, amend the registration of a pest control product for the purpose of reducing its health or environmental risks or increasing its value.
Marginal note:Breach of conditions
25 The Minister may cancel or amend the registration of a pest control product if the registrant does not comply with the conditions of registration.
Marginal note:Violation or offence
26 If a person is found to have committed a violation or is convicted of an offence under this Act, the Minister may, having regard to the nature of the violation or offence and the circumstances surrounding its commission,
(a) cancel or amend the registration of the pest control product that was involved in the violation or offence where the person who committed the violation or offence is the registrant;
(b) cancel or amend the registration of any other pest control product in respect of which the person is the registrant; or
(c) refuse to consider any application made under this Act by the person during any period that the Minister considers appropriate.
Marginal note:Implementation of international agreement
27 The Governor in Council may, by order, cancel or amend the registration of a pest control product or a class of pest control products if the Governor in Council considers it necessary to do so to implement an international agreement.
Marginal note:Minister to consult
28 (1) The Minister shall consult the public and federal and provincial government departments and agencies whose interests and concerns are affected by the federal regulatory system before making a decision
(a) to grant or deny an application
(i) to register a pest control product that is or contains an unregistered active ingredient, or
(ii) to register, or amend the registration of, a pest control product if the Minister considers that registration or amendment of the registration may result in significantly increased health or environmental risks;
(b) about the registration of a pest control product on completion of a re-evaluation or special review; or
(c) about any other matter if the Minister considers it in the public interest to do so.
Marginal note:Public notice
(2) To initiate a consultation under subsection (1), the Minister shall make public a consultation statement and shall invite any person to send written comments on the proposed decision within the period specified in the statement.
Marginal note:Consultation statement
(3) The consultation statement shall include
(a) a summary of any reports of the evaluation of the health and environmental risks and the value of the pest control product prepared or considered by the Minister;
(b) the proposed decision and the reasons for it; and
(c) any other information that the Minister considers necessary in the public interest.
Marginal note:Consideration of comments
(4) The Minister shall consider any comments received pursuant to subsection (2) before making a decision.
Marginal note:Decision statement
(5) After making a decision, the Minister shall make public a decision statement that shall include the decision, the reasons for it and a summary of any comments that the Minister received on the proposed decision.
Marginal note:Confidential test data
(6) A consultation statement referred to in subsection (2) and a decision statement referred to in subsection (5) shall contain any confidential test data that the Minister considers to be in the public interest.
- Date modified: