PART XGeneral Provisions (continued)
91.5 [Repealed, SOR/2000-183, s. 31]
(2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not apply to a sale of a farmer’s livestock conducted on his own farm.
- SOR/97-85, s. 63
93 Every person conducting a public sale, auction or market of livestock shall keep the place where such sale, auction or market is held in a sanitary condition.
94 Every person conducting a public sale, auction or market of livestock, Camelidae, Cervidae, chickens, turkeys or game birds shall keep and make available for inspection by an inspector a record showing, with respect to each animal sold or received at the sale, auction or market, the complete, legal names and addresses of the consignor of every animal received and the purchaser of every animal sold at the sale, auction or market.
- SOR/98-409, s. 11
95 An inspector may order the person having the possession, care or custody of a bovine received for sale at a public sale, auction or market of livestock to
(a) mark or tag the animal for identification; and
(b) have the animal examined and tested for disease.
95.1 (1) Subject to subsection 3, the Minister may require an owner, operator or person in charge of a public sale, auction or market of livestock to have the express written permission of the Minister for the public sale, auction or market of a bovine and, where the Minister so requires, the owner, operator or person in charge shall ensure that
(a) the bovine is marked or tagged for identification and examined by an inspector or a person approved by the Minister pursuant to subsection (2);
(b) for the purpose of brucellosis testing, a specimen is, or specimens are collected from the bovine
(i) at the premises of the public sale, auction or market of livestock,
(ii) by an inspector or by a person who has been approved by the Minister pursuant to subsection (2) and collects the specimen or specimens under the supervision or to the satisfaction of an inspector, and
(iii) at a time and in a manner determined by the Minister; and
(c) where brucellosis testing of a specimen or specimens collected pursuant to paragraph (b) has not been completed prior to sale, the prospective purchaser is informed of this at the time of sale by the person in charge of the public sale, auction or market of livestock, in a manner approved by the Minister.
(2) The Minister may, in writing, approve a person for the purpose of performing a service referred to in paragraph (1)(a) or (b) where he is satisfied that that person is able competently to perform that service, and the Minister may, at any time, withdraw such an approval.
(3) No person to whom subsection (1) applies shall allow the public sale, auction or market of a bovine where the express written permission of the Minister is refused.
(4) Every person to whom subsection (1) applies shall
(a) identify the specimen or specimens collected pursuant to paragraph (1)(b) by recording on the container of the specimen the identity of the bovine from which it was collected;
(b) keep a record containing
(c) deliver to the nearest inspector, with all practicable speed, the specimen or specimens collected pursuant to paragraph (1)(b) and a copy of the record kept pursuant to paragraph (b).
(5) Subsection (1) does not apply to a bovine that
- SOR/79-295, s. 16
- SOR/79-839, s. 28(F)
- SOR/82-590, s. 5
- SOR/87-457, s. 1
- SOR/93-159, s. 14
- SOR/97-85, s. 64
96 No person shall offer an animal for sale at a public sale, auction or market of livestock unless the animal is identified by tag or brand or is one of a lot confined to a pen.
97 [Repealed, SOR/93-159, s. 15]
Marking of Animals
98 Where a person administers a test for a reportable disease to a bovine, equine, goat, pig or sheep and the animal reacts positively to the test, the person shall permanently mark the animal with a red tag bearing the word “reactor” placed in its left ear or in such other manner as the Minister may direct.
(2) An accredited veterinarian may mark or cause an animal inspected by him to be marked with a tag or in such other manner as the Minister may direct so as to identify the animal.
100 Subject to section 99, no person shall, unless authorized by an inspector, place or affix a tag or other mark referred to in section 98, 99 or 201 on an animal.
- SOR/2010-296, s. 2
101 No person shall, unless authorized by an inspector, remove or deface a tag or other mark placed on an animal pursuant to section 98, 99 or 201.
- SOR/2010-296, s. 2
102 An inspector may affix seals or other devices to a conveyance, container or other thing, for the purposes of the Act and these Regulations.
- SOR/97-85, s. 65
103 No person shall, without the authorization of an inspector, break, alter, tamper with, or remove any seal or other device affixed to a conveyance, container or other thing pursuant to section 102.
- SOR/97-85, s. 65
(i) the owner or occupier of any outhouse, stable, yard or other place affected or suspected of being affected with a communicable disease, or
(ii) the owner or operator of any aircraft, railway car, vehicle or vessel affected or suspected of being affected with a communicable disease,
to clean and disinfect such outhouse, stable, yard or other place or such aircraft, railway car, vehicle or vessel; or
(b) order any person entering or leaving any outhouse, stable, yard or other place affected or suspected of being affected with a communicable disease to clean and disinfect any footwear, clothing or other thing worn or carried by him.
(2) If an animal is required to be destroyed under section 27.6, 37 or 48 of the Act, every person in charge of a conveyance in which the animal is subsequently carried shall, immediately after the animal is unloaded from the conveyance, clean and disinfect the conveyance under the supervision of an inspector at the nearest place where facilities for that purpose are available.
- SOR/92-585, s. 2
- SOR/2019-99, s. 12
- SOR/2019-99, s. 18(F)
105 (1) Every owner or person in charge of a crate or other container in which poultry are to be transported shall thoroughly clean and disinfect the crate or container before poultry are loaded therein unless the crate or container is new or was thoroughly cleaned and disinfected following its last use for transporting poultry.
(2) [Repealed, SOR/98-409, s. 12]
(3) Every owner or person in charge of a container from which animal manure, aircraft garbage or ship’s refuse, as those terms are defined in subsection 47.1(1), has been discharged under section 47.1 shall clean and disinfect it before it is used again.
- SOR/98-409, s. 12
- SOR/2003-6, s. 80
- SOR/2009-18, s. 19(F)
- Date modified: