PART IGeneral (continued)
Spoilage of Fish
17 No person who catches and retains a fish suitable for human consumption shall let the fish spoil.
Shipment of Fish
18 (1) Subject to subsection (2), if the sale of fish of a species is prohibited by provincial legislation, no person shall ship out of the Province any fish of that species that is caught by sport fishing.
(2) A person may take out of the Province fish that the person has caught or been given.
- SOR/95-496, s. 8
- SOR/99-264, s. 8
Issue of Licences and Tags
19 The Minister or a Director may issue
(a) a licence referred to in Part 1 of Schedule 5 on receipt of an application; and
(b) a licence referred to in column 1 of Part 2 of Schedule 5 on receipt of an application and payment of the applicable fee set out in column 2.
- SOR/93-118, s. 9
- SOR/2001-51, s. 7
- SOR/2003-176, s. 6
- SOR/2005-269, s. 52
- SOR/2008-322, s. 12
20 [Repealed, SOR/99-264, s. 9]
Terms and Conditions of Licence
21 (1) For the proper management and control of fisheries, the Minister or a Director, as the case may be, may specify in a licence any term or condition concerning one or more of the following matters:
(a) the species and quantity of fish that are permitted to be taken or transported;
(b) the age, sex, stage of development, length and weight of fish that are permitted to be taken or transported;
(c) the waters in which fishing is permitted;
(d) the period during which fishing is permitted or fish may be transported;
(e) the locations from or to which fish may be transported;
(f) the fishing vessels from which or to which fish may be transhipped;
(g) the fishing vessel permitted to be used, and the person or persons permitted to operate it;
(h) the size, type and quantity of fishing gear and equipment permitted and the manner in which they are to be used;
(i) the location where fishing gear may be installed;
(j) the distance required to be kept between fishing gear;
(k) the manner in which the fishing gear or fishing vessels shall be identified;
(l) the place and the time at which fish may be removed from a fishing vessel;
(m) the method whereby the fish may be unloaded from a fishing vessel and the method of determining their length or weight;
(n) the registers that a licence holder must keep of fishing activities undertaken under the licence or the sale or transportation of fish taken under the licence, as well as the way in which the registers shall be kept, their form, the frequency with which and the person to whom they shall be presented, and the period for which they must be retained;
(o) the identification and tagging of fish to determine its origin, its length or its weight, and the way in which the tags issued with the licence are to be recovered;
(p) the registration of the fish caught or transported; and
(q) the separation, on board the fishing vessel, of fish according to species.
(2) For the proper management and control of fisheries, the Minister or a Director, as the case may be, may specify in a licence set out in subitem 2(1) or (2), column 1, of Part 2 of Schedule 5 any term or condition concerning one or more of the following matters:
(a) the persons authorized to fish under the authority of the licence;
(b) the manner in which fish caught for scientific, educational or management purposes shall be kept, released, displayed, used, transported or disposed of; and
(c) the manner in which scientific, educational, management and other data collected are to be reported.
(3) For the purposes of the conservation and protection of fish, the Minister or a Director, as the case may be, may amend any conditions of a licence.
(4) A notice of any amendment referred to in subsection (3) shall be
(5) An amendment referred to in subsection (3) is effective from the time the licence holder receives the notice referred to in subsection (4).
(6) A notice referred to in subsection (4) forms part of the licence to which it relates, and the licence holder shall, on receipt of the notice, attach it to the licence.
- SOR/94-392, s. 5
- SOR/99-264, s. 10
- SOR/2001-51, s. 8
- SOR/2001-438, s. 4
- SOR/2005-269, s. 52
- SOR/2008-322, s. 13
22 (1) Subject to subsection (2), every person, while engaged in fishing, shall have in their possession and, on the request of a fishery officer or fishery guardian, shall immediately produce, as the case may be,
(a) their licence or their valid commercial fisher’s identification certificate, if applicable, issued under subsection 49(2);
(b) their valid student card and the licence of the person under which they are fishing, if they are fishing under subparagraph 5(3)(b)(i) or (ii); or
(c) the licence of the person under which they are fishing, if they are fishing under paragraph 5(3)(c).
(2) If a person who is a resident does not have a document required under subsection (1) in their possession, the person shall produce the document to a fishery officer or fishery guardian within seven days after the date of the request.
- SOR/95-496, s. 9
- SOR/98-218, s. 5
- SOR/99-264, s. 11
- SOR/2001-51, s. 9
- SOR/2003-176, s. 7
- SOR/2008-322, s. 14
(2) A licence referred to in paragraph 2(a), (b), (d) or (e) of Part 1 of Schedule 5 expires on the earliest of
(3) A licence referred to in paragraph 2(c) or (f) of Part 1of Schedule 5 expires when the Atlantic salmon fishing period comes to an end.
- SOR/97-203, s. 6
- SOR/2003-176, s. 7
- SOR/2004-64, s. 2
- SOR/2008-322, ss. 15, 34
(a) for the same year, more than one licence set out in paragraph 2(a) or (d) of Part 1 of Schedule 5, unless the licence is lost or stolen;
(b) if the person has already bought or already has a licence set out in paragraph 2(a) or (d) of Part 1 of Schedule 5 for a year, a licence set out in paragraph 2(b) or (e) of that Part;
(c) for the same day, more than one licence set out in paragraph 2(b) or (e) of Part 1 of Schedule 5; or
(d) a licence set out in paragraph 2(b) or (e) of Part 1 of Schedule 5 if the person has already caught and retained in the year a number of Atlantic salmon equal to the quota set out in section 36.
(2) Despite paragraph 24(1)(c), the holder of a licence set out in paragraph 2(b) or (e) of Part I of Schedule 5 may, if that licence has expired on a previous day under paragraph 23(2)(a), buy another licence of the same type for the next day.
- SOR/97-203, s. 7
- SOR/2008-322, s. 16
- SOR/2018-55, s. 4
(2) [Repealed, SOR/2003-176, s. 8]
- SOR/97-203, s. 8
- SOR/2003-176, s. 8
- Date modified: