Marginal note:Additional election officers
32.1 After the issue of the writ, a returning officer may, with the Chief Electoral Officer’s approval, in the prescribed form, appoint any other person whose attendance is, in the returning officer’s opinion, necessary for the conduct of the vote or the counting of the votes at a polling station or an advance polling station, and may assign to that person any duties or functions that the returning officer considers to be appropriate.
- 2014, c. 12, s. 17.
Marginal note:Solicitation of names
33. (1) Before appointing revising agents, a returning officer shall solicit names of suitable persons from the registered parties whose candidates finished first and second in the last election in the electoral district and, if sufficient names are not provided by those parties within three days after receipt of the request, the returning officer may solicit names from any other source.
Marginal note:Equal distribution
(2) A returning officer shall appoint half of the revising agents from among the persons recommended by the registered party whose candidate finished first in the last election in the electoral district, and half from among the persons recommended by the registered party whose candidate finished second in that election.
Marginal note:Revising agents to work in pairs
(3) A returning officer shall appoint revising agents to work in pairs and each pair shall consist, as far as possible, of persons recommended by different registered parties.
(4) A returning officer may replace a revising agent at any time and the former revising agent shall return all election materials in his or her possession to the returning officer.
Marginal note:Lists of revising agents
(5) Each returning officer shall make available to each candidate a list of the revising agents for the electoral district, on completion of the list.
(6) Each revising agent shall, while performing his or her functions, wear or carry the identification that is supplied by the Chief Electoral Officer and shall show it on request.
Deputy Returning Officers and Poll Clerks
Marginal note:Deputy returning officers
34. (1) Each deputy returning officer referred to in paragraph 32(b) or (c) shall be appointed from lists of names of suitable persons provided by the candidate of the registered party whose candidate finished first in the electoral district in the last election or by the registered association of that registered party or, if there is no registered association, by that registered party.
Marginal note:Replacing deputies
(2) A returning officer may, at any time, remove a deputy returning officer.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 34;
- 2014, c. 12, s. 18.
- Date modified: