Marginal note:Citizenship information
46.1 For the purpose of assisting the Chief Electoral Officer in updating the Register of Electors, the Minister of National Revenue may, on a return of income referred to in subsection 150(1) of the Income Tax Act, request that an individual who is filing a return of income under paragraph 150(1)(d) of that Act indicate in the return whether he or she is a Canadian citizen.
- 2007, c. 21, s. 7.
Marginal note:Information in respect of deceased individuals
46.2 For the purpose of updating the Register of Electors, the Minister of National Revenue shall, at the request of the Chief Electoral Officer, provide the name, date of birth and address of any individual to whom paragraph 150(1)(b) of the Income Tax Act applies if that individual has, in his or her last return of income filed under paragraph 150(1)(d) of that Act, authorized that Minister to provide his or her name, date of birth and address to the Chief Electoral Officer for the Register of Electors.
- 2007, c. 21, s. 7.
Marginal note:Duty of returning officer
47. During the election period, each returning officer shall update the Register of Electors from the information that he or she obtains under this Act, other than information in relation to an elector with respect to whom an application has been granted under subsection 233(1.1).
Marginal note:Other duties
47.1 Between election periods, a returning officer shall perform any duties related to the updating of the Register of Electors that are requested by the Chief Electoral Officer.
- 2007, c. 21, s. 8.
Marginal note:New electors
48. (1) The Chief Electoral Officer shall, before including a new elector in the Register of Electors, send the elector the Chief Electoral Officer’s information relating to him or her and ask if he or she wishes to be included in the Register of Electors.
Marginal note:Obligation of elector
(2) A new elector who wishes to be included in the Register of Electors shall confirm, correct or complete the information, in writing, and give it to the Chief Electoral Officer along with a signed certification that he or she is qualified as an elector under section 3.
(3) This section does not apply in respect of the inclusion of a new elector
(a) at the elector’s request; or
(b) based on lists of electors established under provincial law, if those lists contain the information that the Chief Electoral Officer considers sufficient for the inclusion of the elector.
Marginal note:Listing requests
49. (1) Any person may at any time request the Chief Electoral Officer to include him or her in the Register of Electors, by providing
(a) a signed certification that he or she is qualified as an elector;
(b) his or her surname, given names, sex, date of birth, civic address and mailing address; and
(c) satisfactory proof of identity.
Marginal note:Optional information
(2) In addition to the information referred to in subsection (1), the Chief Electoral Officer may invite the elector to give any other information that the Chief Electoral Officer considers necessary to implement any agreements entered into under section 55, but the elector is not required to do so.
- Date modified: