Marginal note:Duties of returning officer
29. (1) A returning officer shall
(a) without delay after removing an assistant returning officer from office, notify the assistant returning officer in writing of the removal and send a copy of the notice to the Chief Electoral Officer; and
(b) without delay after the death or resignation of an assistant returning officer, notify the Chief Electoral Officer in writing of the death or resignation.
Marginal note:Appointment of substitute
(2) If an assistant returning officer dies, resigns, becomes disqualified or incapable of acting or refuses to act, or is removed from office for any other reason, the returning officer who appointed him or her shall without delay appoint a substitute.
Marginal note:Tenure of office of assistant returning officer
(3) When a returning officer ceases to hold office, the assistant returning officer appointed by him or her remains in office until the returning officer’s successor appoints a new assistant returning officer.
Marginal note:Resignation by assistant returning officer
(4) An assistant returning officer who intends to resign shall give written notice to the returning officer who appointed him or her or, if the office of returning officer is vacant, to the Chief Electoral Officer.
Marginal note:Additional assistant returning officer
30. (1) On request by a returning officer, the Chief Electoral Officer may designate areas in the returning officer’s electoral district and authorize, in writing, the appointment of an assistant returning officer, in addition to the assistant returning officer appointed under subsection 26(1), for each of those areas.
(2) A returning officer shall appoint an additional assistant returning officer and establish an office in each area designated by the Chief Electoral Officer.
Marginal note:Delegation limited
(3) An assistant returning officer appointed under subsection (2) may perform the functions of an assistant returning officer only in respect of the area for which they are appointed.
Marginal note:Further limitation
(4) An assistant returning officer appointed under subsection (2) may not perform the functions described in subsections 28(1), 60(2), 70(1) and 293(1).
Marginal note:Prohibition — acting in another capacity
31. No returning officer or assistant returning officer appointed under subsection 26(1) shall act in any other capacity under this Act.
Election Officers Appointed by Returning Officer
Marginal note:Election officers
32. After the issue of the writ, a returning officer shall appoint the following election officers in the prescribed form:
(a) the revising agents that the returning officer considers necessary, provided that the Chief Electoral Officer approves of their number;
(b) one deputy returning officer and one poll clerk for each advance polling station in the electoral district;
(c) one deputy returning officer and one poll clerk for each polling station in the electoral district; and
(d) a registration officer for each registration desk.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 32;
- 2001, c. 21, s. 3(E).
- Date modified: