Marginal note:Part overview
4. This Part sets out requirements for screening officers, screening authorities and persons who are subject to screening. This Part is also a supplement to section 4.85 of the Act, which sets out several prohibitions respecting screening.
5. (1) A screening officer must not screen persons or goods unless the screening officer
(a) is at least 18 years of age;
(b) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
(c) is able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in one or both official languages;
(d) has a security clearance; and
(e) meets the minimum standards set out in the Designation Standards for Screening Officers, published by the Department of Transport in January 2004, as amended from time to time.
(2) A screening authority must ensure that any person who acts or will act as a screening officer for it or on its behalf meets the requirements set out in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Official languages
6. At the airports that are listed in Schedule 1 and at all aerodromes where there is a significant demand for services in either official language within the meaning of the Official Languages (Communications with and Services to the Public) Regulations, a screening authority must
(a) carry out screening by means that allow effective communication with members of the public in the official language of their choice; and
(b) provide in both official languages any printed or pre-recorded material that is used in respect of screening.
Carriage of Weapons, Explosive Substances and Incendiary Devices During Screening
7. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person must not present themselves for a screening or submit goods in their possession or control for a screening while they are carrying or have access to a weapon, an explosive substance or an incendiary device.
(2) A person who is permitted under subsection 78(2) to carry, transport or have access to a weapon, an explosive substance or an incendiary device may present themselves for a screening or submit goods in their possession or control for a screening while they are carrying or have access to that weapon, substance or device.
Marginal note:Notification of screening officers
8. If a screening authority is notified by an air carrier that a peace officer will be carrying or will have access to a firearm on board an aircraft, the screening authority must notify all the screening officers with whom the peace officer will come into contact that the peace officer will be carrying or will have access to a firearm on board the aircraft.
- Date modified: