Additional Requirements for Accessories (continued)
Marginal note:Structural integrity — sleep and change table accessories
31 Every sleep accessory and change table accessory must be capable of supporting one of the following loads at the following locations for 60 seconds without any damage to the accessory:
(a) in the case of a sleep accessory, a load of 24 kg that has a square base that measures 152 mm × 152 mm applied to the geometric centre of the sleeping surface and, if the surface has corners, then to each of the corners of the surface successively; and
(b) in the case of a change table accessory, a load of 45 kg that has a square base that measures 152 mm × 152 mm applied to the geometric centre of the surface that supports the weight of the child.
Marginal note:Sleep accessories — angle
Marginal note:Sleep accessories — angle of foldable mattress pad
(2) The angle of the surfaces adjacent to a fold in a foldable mattress pad that is supplied with, or that is designed or advertised to be used with, a sleep accessory must not, when the sleep accessory is tested in accordance with Schedule 16, exceed 7° from the horizontal.
Marginal note:Sleep accessories that rock or swing — angle
33 Every sleep accessory that rocks or swings must meet the following requirements:
(a) it does not rock or swing beyond a 20° angle from the horizontal; and
(b) its angle at rest does not exceed 7° from the horizontal.
Marginal note:Sleep accessories — height of sides
34 The upper surface of every side of a sleep accessory must be at least 191 mm higher than the sleeping surface when no load is applied to the sleeping surface.
Marginal note:Sleep accessories — restraint systems
35 A sleep accessory must not have a child restraint system.
Information and Advertising
Marginal note:Reference to Canada Consumer Product Safety Act or Regulations
36 Information that appears on a playpen or accessory, that accompanies one or that is in any advertisement for one must not make any direct or indirect reference to the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act or these Regulations.
37 An advertisement must not show a playpen or accessory in any way that is contrary to the warnings set out in sections 44 to 49.
Presentation of Information
Marginal note:Presentation — general
38 The information required by these Regulations must meet all of the following requirements:
(a) it must be displayed in both English and French;
(b) it must be printed on the playpen or accessory, or on a label that is permanently affixed to it;
(c) it must be legible and clearly displayed, including being printed in characters whose colour contrasts sharply with the background; and
(d) it must be sufficiently durable to remain legible or visible, as the case may be, throughout the useful life of the playpen or accessory under normal conditions of transportation, storage, sale and use.
Marginal note:Height of type
(2) The height of the type is determined by measuring an upper case letter or a lower case letter that has an ascender or a descender, such as “b” or “p”.
Marginal note:Signal words
Marginal note:Other information — height of type
(2) All other required information must be displayed in type that is not less than 2.5 mm in height.
Requirements for Playpens and Accessories
Marginal note:Required information
41 The following information must appear on every playpen and on every accessory that is sold separately, as well as on any packaging in which one of those products is displayed to the consumer:
(a) in the case of a playpen or accessory that is manufactured in Canada, the name and principal place of business of the manufacturer or the person for whom the playpen or accessory was manufactured;
(b) in the case of a playpen or accessory that is imported for commercial purposes, the name and principal place of business of the manufacturer, the person for whom the playpen or accessory was manufactured or the importer;
(c) its model name or model number; and
(d) the expression “DATE:” followed immediately by words or numbers that indicate when it was manufactured, consisting of the year and either the month or week, listed in that order.
Marginal note:Assembly and use — playpens
Marginal note:Assembly and use — accessories
(2) The following information must appear on every accessory in text, drawings or photographs, or in any combination of them:
Marginal note:Exception — accessories supplied with playpens
(3) Despite subsection (2), if the accessory is supplied with a playpen, the information required by that subsection may appear on the playpen.
Marginal note:Exception — Pouches
43 Despite paragraph 38(b), the information that is required by section 42 may be contained in or on a pouch that is permanently affixed to the playpen or accessory if the relevant warnings set out in sections 44 to 49 are provided with that information.
Additional Requirements for Playpens
Marginal note:Warning — all playpens
44 The following warning or its equivalent must appear on every playpen:
- Do not use this playpen if you cannot exactly follow the instructions that come with it.
- Do not use this playpen for a child who can climb out of it or who is taller than 90 cm.
- Do not place any cord, strap or similar item in or near this playpen that could become wrapped around a child’s neck.
- Do not place this playpen near a window or patio door where a child could reach the cord of a blind or curtain and be strangled.
- Check this playpen regularly before using it, and do not use it if any part is loose or missing or if there are any signs of damage. Do not substitute parts. Contact the manufacturer if replacement parts or additional instructions are needed.
- Children can suffocate on soft bedding. Do not place pillows, comforters or an additional floor pad in this playpen.
- Do not leave a child unattended in this playpen.
MISE EN GARDE
- Ne pas utiliser ce parc pour enfant à moins d’être en mesure de suivre précisément les instructions qui l’accompagnent.
- Ne pas utiliser ce parc pour enfant si l’enfant est capable d’en sortir ou mesure plus de 90 cm.
- Ne pas mettre dans ce parc pour enfant ou à proximité de celui-ci des cordes, sangles ou objets semblables qui risqueraient de s’enrouler autour du cou de l’enfant.
- Ne pas placer ce parc pour enfant près d’une fenêtre ou d’une porte-fenêtre où l’enfant pourrait saisir les cordes d’un store ou d’un rideau et s’étrangler.
- Vérifier régulièrement ce parc pour enfant préalablement à son utilisation et ne pas l’utiliser si une pièce est desserrée, une pièce est manquante ou s’il y a un signe de dommages. Ne pas substituer une pièce à une autre. Communiquer avec le fabricant pour obtenir, au besoin, une pièce de rechange ou des instructions supplémentaires.
- Les articles de literie mous présentent un risque de suffocation pour l’enfant. Ne pas mettre d’oreiller, d’édredon ou de matelas de sol supplémentaire dans ce parc pour enfant.
- Ne pas laisser sans surveillance un enfant qui utilise ce parc pour enfant.
- Date modified: