Quantification of GHGs (continued)
Marginal note:Hybrid configuration
21 For the purposes of section 20, if a combustion engine unit and a boiler unit share the same steam turbine, the GHGs from those units are quantified as follows:
(a) with respect to a combustion engine unit, the quantification provisions apply to the assembly comprised of combustion engines and any other equipment connected to them, including the steam turbine that it shares with the boiler unit; and
(b) with respect to a boiler unit, the quantification provisions apply to the assembly comprised of boilers and any other equipment connected to them, including the steam turbine that it shares with the combustion engine unit.
Marginal note:Biomass — exclusion of CO2
(2) CH4 from venting or leakage emissions from an industrial activity set out in item 1, 2, 4 or 5, column 1, of Schedule 1 is not included in the quantity of CH4 calculated in accordance with subsections 17(2) to (4).
Marginal note:De minimis
23 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the quantity of a GHG for any specified emission type does not need to be included in the determination made under subsections 17(2) to (4) or 20(2) to (5) if the quantity of the GHG, expressed in CO2e tonnes, does not exceed 0.5% of the total quantity of GHGs determined under subsection 17(1) or 20(1).
(2) The sum of the quantities of GHGs not included under subsection (1) cannot exceed 0.5% of the total quantity of GHGs determined under subsection 17(1) or 20(1).
24 Any result from a calculation under subsections 17(1) and 20(1) is to be rounded to the nearest whole number and, if the number is equidistant between two whole consecutive numbers, to the higher number.
Marginal note:Continuous Emissions Monitoring System
25 For the purposes of the GHGRP, if a CEMS is used to quantify GHGs, the person responsible for the covered facility must ensure that the system complies with the requirements of the Reference Method for Source Testing: Quantification of Carbon Dioxide Releases by Continuous Emission Monitoring Systems from Thermal Power Generation, published by the Department of the Environment in June 2012.
Permit To Use an Alternative Method
Marginal note:Alternative method
26 Despite sections 17 and 20, the person responsible for a covered facility may use a method other than a method or guideline required under those sections if they have a permit issued in accordance with section 28.
Marginal note:Application for permit
(2) The application must be accompanied by a certification, dated and signed by the person responsible for the covered facility or by their authorized official, stating that the information contained in the application is accurate and complete.
Marginal note:Conditions of issuance
(a) the person responsible for the covered facility establishes that, at the time of the application, it is not technically or economically feasible to use the prescribed method or guideline;
(b) the person responsible for the covered facility demonstrates that the quantification method being proposed is at least as rigorous as the prescribed method or guideline and provides equivalent results to those that would have been obtained from the prescribed method or guideline;
(c) the person responsible for the covered facility provides a plan describing measures that will be taken to enable the use of the prescribed method or guideline and the implementation period for that plan, up to a maximum of two years; and
(d) the requested term of the permit does not exceed the period for which the permit is necessary.
Marginal note:Period of validity
(2) The term of the permit must not exceed 24 months.
Marginal note:Grounds for refusing permit
(3) The Minister must refuse to issue a permit if the Minister has reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant has provided false or misleading information in support of their application.
(4) The permit can only be renewed once.
Marginal note:Application for renewal
29 (1) The application for the renewal of a permit must include the information referred to in Schedule 4 and an explanation of the reasons why the plan that was submitted in the initial permit application was not implemented within the period identified in the initial application. The application for renewal must be submitted to the Minister at least 90 days before the expiration of the permit.
Marginal note:Conditions for renewal
(2) The Minister must renew the permit if the conditions set out in subsection 28(1) are met.
Marginal note:Grounds for revocation
Marginal note:Notice of revocation
(2) Before revoking a permit, the Minister must provide the permit holder with
Marginal note:Date of revocation
(3) The revocation of a permit is effective 30 days after the day on which the Minister notifies the permit holder.
Quantification of Production for Specified Industrial Activities
Marginal note:General rule
31 (1) Subject to subsection (4) and section 16, the production from a covered facility, other than an electricity generation facility, from each specified industrial activity during a compliance period is quantified
(a) in the case of production from a specified industrial activity set out in items 1 to 37, column 1, of Schedule 1, in the units of measurement set out in column 2 of Schedule 1 for that industrial activity, and in accordance with any requirements set out in the applicable part of Schedule 3;
(b) in the case of production from a specified industrial activity set out in paragraphs 38(a) to (c), column 1, of Schedule 1, the production is
(c) in the case of production from a specified industrial activity not set out in column 1 of Schedule 1, in the units of measurement provided in the request under subsection 172(1) of the Act.
Marginal note:Measuring device
(2) Any measuring device that is used to determine a quantity for the purposes of these Regulations must be
Marginal note:Engineering estimates or mass balance
(3) If it is not possible to directly measure production using a measuring device, it may be quantified using engineering estimates or mass balance.
Marginal note:Transitional provision
(4) For the 2019 calendar year
(a) the production quantified in accordance with paragraphs (1)(a) and (c), must be accurate within ± 5%; and
(b) the production referred to in paragraph (1)(b) may be quantified by the person responsible for the regulated facility in accordance with subsection 9(2) and section 103 of the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Information Production Order, as it read before August 1, 2019.
Marginal note:Electricity generation facility
32 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the gross electricity generated during a compliance period by each unit within the electricity generation facility, from each of the industrial activities set out in paragraphs 38(a) to (c), column 1, of Schedule 1 that is engaged in at the unit, is determined as follows:
(a) if a unit uses only one fossil fuel to generate electricity, in accordance with subsection 4(1) and section 5 of Part 38 of Schedule 3; and
(b) if a unit uses a mixture of fossil fuels or a mixture of biomass and fossil fuels to generate electricity, in accordance with subsections 4(2) and (3) and section 5 of Part 38 of Schedule 3.
Marginal note:Choose not to quantify
(2) The person responsible for the electricity generation facility may choose not to quantify part or all of the quantity of electricity generated from one unit or a group of units.
- Date modified: