(1.1) Regulations made under this Act that apply in respect of sponsorship applications or applications for permanent or temporary resident visas, permanent or temporary resident status or work or study permits may, if they so provide, apply in respect of any such applications that are pending on the day on which the regulations are made, other than
Marginal note:Tabling and referral of proposed regulations
(2) The Minister shall cause a copy of each proposed regulation made under sections 17, 32, 53, 61, 87.2, 102, 116, 150 and 150.1 to be laid before each House of Parliament, and each House shall refer the proposed regulation to the appropriate Committee of that House.
Marginal note:Alteration of proposed regulation
(3) A proposed regulation that has been laid before each House of Parliament under subsection (2) does not need to be so laid again, whether or not it has been altered.
Marginal note:Making of regulations
(4) The Governor in Council may make the regulation at any time after the proposed regulation has been laid before each House of Parliament under subsection (2).
- 2001, c. 27, s. 5;
- 2004, c. 15, s. 70;
- 2008, c. 3, s. 2;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 702.
Marginal note:Designation of officers
6 (1) The Minister may designate any persons or class of persons as officers to carry out any purpose of any provision of this Act, and shall specify the powers and duties of the officers so designated.
Marginal note:Delegation of powers
(2) Anything that may be done by the Minister under this Act may be done by a person that the Minister authorizes in writing, without proof of the authenticity of the authorization.
(3) Despite subsection (2), the Minister may not delegate the power conferred by subsection 20.1(1), section 22.1 or subsection 42.1(1) or (2) or 77(1).
- 2001, c. 27, s. 6;
- 2012, c. 17, s. 3;
- 2013, c. 16, ss. 3, 36.
Marginal note:International agreements
7 The Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may enter into an agreement with the government of a foreign state or with an international organization for the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Federal-provincial agreements
8 (1) The Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may enter into an agreement with the government of any province for the purposes of this Act. The Minister must publish, once a year, a list of the federal-provincial agreements that are in force.
Marginal note:Consistency with agreement
(2) Subject to subsection (3) but despite the other provisions of this Act, the following must be consistent with the federal-provincial agreements:
(a) the selection and sponsorship of, and the acquisition of status by, foreign nationals under this Act; and
(b) regulations governing those matters, including regulations respecting the examination in Canada of applications to become a permanent resident, or respecting the foreign nationals who may be selected on the basis of an investment in Canada.
Marginal note:Inadmissibility not limited
(3) Subsection (2) is not to be interpreted as limiting the application of any provision of this Act concerning inadmissibility to Canada.
Marginal note:Sole provincial responsibility — permanent residents
9 (1) Where a province has, under a federal-provincial agreement, sole responsibility for the selection of a foreign national who intends to reside in that province as a permanent resident, the following provisions apply to that foreign national, unless the agreement provides otherwise:
(a) the foreign national, unless inadmissible under this Act, shall be granted permanent resident status if the foreign national meets the province’s selection criteria;
(b) the foreign national shall not be granted permanent resident status if the foreign national does not meet the province’s selection criteria;
(c) the foreign national shall not be granted permanent resident status contrary to the provisions of the law of the province governing the number of foreign nationals who may settle in the province as permanent residents, whether that number is an estimate or a maximum, or governing the distribution of that number among classes of foreign nationals; and
(d) conditions imposed in accordance with the law of the province have the same force and effect as if they were made under this Act, if they are imposed on a foreign national on or before the grant of permanent resident status.
Marginal note:Sole provincial responsibility — appeals
(2) If a federal-provincial agreement gives a province sole responsibility to establish and apply financial criteria with respect to undertakings that sponsors living in that province may make in respect of a foreign national who applies to become a permanent resident, then, unless the agreement provides otherwise, the existence of a right of appeal under the law of that province respecting rejections by provincial officials of applications for sponsorship, for reasons of failing to meet financial criteria or failing to comply with a prior undertaking, prevents the sponsor, except on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, from appealing under this Act against a refusal, based on those reasons, of a visa or permanent resident status.
Marginal note:Consultations with the provinces
10 (1) The Minister may consult with the governments of the provinces on immigration and refugee protection policies and programs, in order to facilitate cooperation and to take into consideration the effects that the implementation of this Act may have on the provinces.
Marginal note:Required consultations
(2) The Minister must consult with the governments of the provinces respecting the number of foreign nationals in each class who will become permanent residents each year, their distribution in Canada taking into account regional economic and demographic requirements, and the measures to be undertaken to facilitate their integration into Canadian society.
PART 1Immigration to Canada
DIVISION 0.1Invitation to Make an Application
Marginal note:Application for permanent residence — invitation to apply
10.1 (1) A foreign national who seeks to enter or remain in Canada as a member of a class that is referred to in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(a) may make an application for permanent residence only if the Minister has issued them an invitation to do so, the invitation has not been cancelled under subsection 10.2(5) and the applicable period specified in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(k) has not expired.
Marginal note:Invitation to provincial nominees
(1.1) A foreign national who is a member of a portion of the prescribed class of provincial nominees set out in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(a) may be issued an invitation only in respect of that class.
(2) An instruction may be given under paragraph 10.3(1)(a) only in respect of a class that is part of the economic class referred to in subsection 12(2).
Marginal note:Provincial nominees
(2.1) In the case of the prescribed class of provincial nominees, an instruction may be given under paragraph 10.3(1)(a) in respect of the foreign nationals who are nominated by the government of a particular province in accordance with an agreement referred to in section 8, or in respect of a portion of those foreign nationals.
Marginal note:Expression of interest
(3) A foreign national who wishes to be invited to make an application must submit an expression of interest to the Minister by means of an electronic system in accordance with instructions given under section 10.3 unless the instructions provide that they may do so by other means.
Marginal note:Inadmissible foreign national
(4) A foreign national may not submit an expression of interest if they have been determined to be — and continue to be — inadmissible for misrepresentation.
Marginal note:New expression of interest
(5) A foreign national who has submitted an expression of interest may not submit another one before the expiry of the period referred to in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(f).
Marginal note:Failure to make application
(6) A foreign national who is invited to make an application and does not do so within the period specified in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(k) is not eligible to be invited to make an application in relation to the expression of interest on the basis of which the invitation was issued.
Marginal note:Declining invitation
(7) Subsection (6) does not apply to a foreign national who declines an invitation to make an application within the period specified in an instruction given under paragraph 10.3(1)(k).
- 2013, c. 40, s. 290;
- 2014, c. 20, s. 306;
- 2017, c. 20, s. 300.
- Date modified: