Marginal note:Biometric information
11.1 A prescribed foreign national who makes an application for a temporary resident visa, study permit or work permit must follow the prescribed procedures for the collection of prescribed biometric information.
- 2012, c. 17, s. 6.
Selection of Permanent Residents
Marginal note:Family reunification
12. (1) A foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Marginal note:Economic immigration
(2) A foreign national may be selected as a member of the economic class on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada.
(3) A foreign national, inside or outside Canada, may be selected as a person who under this Act is a Convention refugee or as a person in similar circumstances, taking into account Canada’s humanitarian tradition with respect to the displaced and the persecuted.
Sponsorship of Foreign Nationals
Marginal note:Sponsorship of foreign nationals
13. (1) A Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or a group of Canadian citizens or permanent residents, a corporation incorporated under a law of Canada or of a province or an unincorporated organization or association under federal or provincial law — or any combination of them — may sponsor a foreign national, subject to the regulations.
(2) and (3) [Repealed, 2012, c. 17, s. 7]
Marginal note:Instructions of Minister
(4) An officer shall apply the regulations on sponsorship referred to in paragraph 14(2)(e) in accordance with any instructions that the Minister may make.
- 2001, c. 27, s. 13;
- 2012, c. 17, s. 7.
Marginal note:Undertaking binding
13.1 An undertaking given under this Act in respect of a foreign national — including a sponsorship undertaking — is binding on the person who gives it.
- 2012, c. 17, s. 8.
Marginal note:Undertaking required
13.2 (1) If required to do so by the regulations, a foreign national who makes an application for a visa or for permanent or temporary resident status must obtain the undertaking specified in the regulations.
Marginal note:Minister’s instructions
(2) An officer must apply the regulations made under paragraph 14(2)(e.1) in accordance with any instructions that the Minister may give.
- 2012, c. 17, s. 8.
- Date modified: