Criminal Code (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46)
- HTMLFull Document: Criminal Code (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Criminal Code [4897 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Criminal Code [7412 KB]
Act current to 2023-03-06 and last amended on 2023-01-16. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Arson for fraudulent purpose
435 (1) Every person who, with intent to defraud any other person, causes damage by fire or explosion to property, whether or not that person owns, in whole or in part, the property, is guilty of
(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years; or
(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Marginal note:Holder or beneficiary of fire insurance policy
(2) Where a person is charged with an offence under subsection (1), the fact that the person was the holder of or was named as a beneficiary under a policy of fire insurance relating to the property in respect of which the offence is alleged to have been committed is a fact from which intent to defraud may be inferred by the court.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 435
- 1990, c. 15, s. 1
- 2019, c. 25, s. 163
- Date modified: