Criminal Code (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46)
- HTMLFull Document: Criminal Code (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Criminal Code [4898 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Criminal Code [7427 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17 and last amended on 2023-01-16. Previous Versions
Marginal note:To whom pardon may be granted
748 (1) Her Majesty may extend the royal mercy to a person who is sentenced to imprisonment under the authority of an Act of Parliament, even if the person is imprisoned for failure to pay money to another person.
Marginal note:Free or conditional pardon
(2) The Governor in Council may grant a free pardon or a conditional pardon to any person who has been convicted of an offence.
Marginal note:Effect of free pardon
(3) Where the Governor in Council grants a free pardon to a person, that person shall be deemed thereafter never to have committed the offence in respect of which the pardon is granted.
Marginal note:Punishment for subsequent offence not affected
(4) No free pardon or conditional pardon prevents or mitigates the punishment to which the person might otherwise be lawfully sentenced on a subsequent conviction for an offence other than that for which the pardon was granted.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 748
- 1992, c. 22, s. 12
- 1995, c. 22, s. 6
- Date modified: