PART 11Labelling (continued)
DIVISION 2Requirements Applicable to Prepackaged Food (continued)
SUBDIVISION ERequirement to Apply or Attach Label (continued)
Marginal note:Principal display surface
Marginal note:Ornamental container
(2) Despite subsection (1), in the case of a consumer prepackaged food whose container is an ornamental container, the label may be applied to the bottom of the container or attached to the container.
Marginal note:Display card
228 In the case of a consumer prepackaged food whose container is mounted on a display card, the label may be applied to the surface of the display card that is displayed or visible under customary conditions of sale or use.
SUBDIVISION FType Size — Specific Information
Marginal note:Consumer prepackaged food
229 (1) In the case of the label of a consumer prepackaged food, the following must be shown in characters of at least the minimum character height that is set out in column 2 of Schedule 6 for the area of a principal display surface that is set out in column 1:
Marginal note:Container mounted on display card — specific case
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), in the case of a container that is mounted on a display card, the reference to “Area of Principal Display Surface” in Schedule 6 must be read as “Total Area of the Surface of the Display Card that is Displayed or Visible under Customary Conditions of Sale or Use”, if the information is shown on a label that is applied to all or part of that surface.
Marginal note:Consumer prepackaged wine — specific case
(3) Despite paragraph (1)(a), in the case of consumer prepackaged wine, the numerical quantity in the declaration of net quantity may, if the net quantity is 750 mL, the container is no taller than 360 mm and the area of the principal display surface is greater than 258 cm2, be shown in characters of a height less than the minimum character height that is set out in column 2 of Schedule 6, but must be shown in characters that are at least 3.3 mm in height.
SUBDIVISION GManner of Showing Declaration of Net Quantity
Marginal note:Consumer prepackaged food
230 The declaration of net quantity that is shown on the label of a consumer prepackaged food must
(a) be in distinct contrast to any other information or pictorial representation on the label; and
(b) show the numerical quantity in boldface type.
Declaration by Volume, Weight or Numerical Count
Marginal note:General requirements
231 The declaration of net quantity of a consumer prepackaged food must be shown
(a) in the case of a consumer prepackaged food that is listed in the document entitled Units of Measurement for the Net Quantity Declaration of Certain Foods, prepared by the Agency and published on its website, as amended from time to time, by volume, weight or numerical count in accordance with that document; or
(b) in the case of a consumer prepackaged food that is not listed in the document referred to in paragraph (a),
(i) if the food is liquid, gas or viscous, by food volume, or, if the food is solid, by weight, or
(ii) if the established trade practice in respect of the food is to show its net quantity in a manner that is different than what is required by subparagraph (i), in accordance with that established trade practice.
Marginal note:Permitted units of measurement
232 The declaration of net quantity of a consumer prepackaged food must be shown in metric units, unless otherwise provided by these Regulations.
Marginal note:Millilitres, litres, grams and kilograms
Marginal note:Half-litre or half-kilogram
(2) Despite paragraphs (1)(a) and (c), 500 mL may be shown as 0.5 L and 500 g may be shown as 0.5 kg.
Marginal note:Decimal fraction
(3) In the case referred to in paragraph (1)(c), the net weight may be shown as a decimal fraction of a kilogram if the food is packaged from bulk at retail or is a catch-weight food that is sold by a retailer.
Marginal note:Number of digits
Marginal note:Net quantity below 100 g or mL
(2) Despite subsection (1), if the net quantity is below 100 g or 100 mL, it may be shown to two figures.
Marginal note:Zero as final decimal
(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), any final zero appearing to the right of the decimal point is not required to be shown.
Marginal note:Quantity less than one
235 If the declaration of net quantity of a consumer prepackaged food is shown in metric units and the quantity is less than one metric unit, the quantity must be shown
Metric Units and Canadian Units
236 If the declaration of net quantity of a consumer prepackaged food is shown in metric units and Canadian units, those units must be grouped together, except that any symbol or pictogram that is shown in accordance with the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act or any regulations made under that Act may be shown between those units.
Marginal note:Canadian units of volume
237 (1) If the declaration of net quantity of a consumer prepackaged food whose volume is less than one gallon includes Canadian units, those units must be in fluid ounces, except that 20 fluid ounces may be shown as one pint, 40 fluid ounces as one quart, 60 fluid ounces as three pints, 80 fluid ounces as two quarts or as one-half gallon and 120 fluid ounces as three quarts.
(2) Despite subsection (1), in the case of oysters that are sold in the shell, other than those in a hermetically sealed package, the declaration of net quantity must, if shown by volume, be shown in bushels or pecks.
Marginal note:Net quantity in advertisement
238 If the declaration of net quantity of a consumer prepackaged food or of a serving of the food is shown in metric units and Canadian units, the net quantity of the food or serving in an advertisement may be shown in either a metric unit or a Canadian unit.
Individually Packaged Food Sold as One Unit and Servings
Marginal note:Individually packaged food sold as one unit
239 If a consumer prepackaged food is sold as one unit but consists of two or more individually packaged foods that are labelled with the information required for a consumer prepackaged food, the declaration of net quantity of the consumer prepackaged food being sold as one unit must show
(a) the number of individually packaged foods in each class of food, as well as the common name of the food in each class; and
(b) the total net quantity of the individually packaged foods in each class, or the net quantity of each identical individually packaged food in each class.
Marginal note:Prohibition — representation respecting number of servings
240 It is prohibited for a person to apply or attach to any consumer prepackaged food a label that bears any representation with respect to the number of servings contained in the consumer prepackaged food unless the label bears a declaration of net quantity of each serving in accordance with section 241.
(2) The declaration of net quantity of a serving must be shown
Marginal note:Representation — cups or tablespoons
(3) If the representation with respect to the number of servings is made in terms of cups or tablespoons,
- Date modified: