PART VIIOwnership (continued)
DIVISION VDirections (continued)
Marginal note:Permission to become another body corporate
402.1 If subsection 402(1) applies, the Minister may, on application by the bank, permit the bank to apply to be continued as a body corporate under any Act of Parliament referred to in subsection 39.1(1) or 39.2(1) instead of, or in addition to, issuing an order under subsection 402(1).
- 1991, c. 46, s. 579
- 2007, c. 6, s. 22
- 2010, c. 12, s. 2074
Marginal note:Application to court
Marginal note:Court order
(2) A court may, on an application under subsection (1), make any order that the circumstances require to give effect to the terms of the direction, including requiring the bank concerned to sell the shares, or to redeem, purchase or transfer to another member the membership shares, that are the subject-matter of the direction.
(3) An appeal from an order of a court under this section lies in the same manner as, and to the same court to which, an appeal may be taken from any other order of the court.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 403
- 2010, c. 12, s. 2075
- 2012, c. 31, s. 118
Marginal note:Interest of securities underwriter
404 This Part does not apply to a securities underwriter in respect of shares of a body corporate or ownership interests in an unincorporated entity that are acquired by the underwriter in the course of a distribution to the public of those shares or ownership interests and that are held by the underwriter for a period of not more than six months.
Marginal note:Arrangements to effect compliance
(a) require any person in whose name a share or membership share of the bank is held to submit a declaration setting out
(b) require any person who wishes to have a transfer of a share or membership share registered in the name of, or to have a share or membership share issued to, that person to submit a declaration referred to in paragraph (a) as though the person were the holder of that share or membership share; and
(c) determine the circumstances in which a declaration referred to in paragraph (a) is to be required, the form of the declaration and the times at which it is to be submitted.
Marginal note:Order of Superintendent
(2) The Superintendent may, by order, direct a bank to obtain from any person in whose name a share or membership share of the bank is held a declaration setting out the name of every entity controlled by that person and containing information concerning
Marginal note:Compliance required
(3) As soon as possible after receipt by a bank of a direction under subsection (2),
Marginal note:Outstanding declaration: effect
(4) If, under this section, a declaration is required to be submitted by a shareholder, member or other person in respect of the issue or transfer of any share or membership share, a bank may refuse to issue the share or membership share or register the transfer unless the required declaration is submitted.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 405
- 2010, c. 12, s. 2076
Marginal note:Reliance on information
406 A bank and any person who is a director or an officer, employee or agent of the bank may rely on any information contained in a declaration required by the directors pursuant to section 405 or on any information otherwise acquired in respect of any matter that might be the subject of such a declaration, and no action lies against the bank or any such person for anything done or omitted to be done in good faith in reliance on any such information.
407 [Repealed, 1994, c. 47, s. 23]
Marginal note:Competition Act
PART VIIIBusiness and Powers
Marginal note:Main business
(2) For greater certainty, the business of banking includes
(a) providing any financial service;
(b) acting as a financial agent;
(c) providing investment counselling services and portfolio management services; and
(d) issuing payment, credit or charge cards and, in cooperation with others including other financial institutions, operating a payment, credit or charge card plan.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 409
- 2009, c. 2, s. 269(F)
Marginal note:Additional activities
(a) hold, manage and otherwise deal with real property;
(b) provide prescribed bank-related data processing services;
(c) outside Canada or, with the prior written approval of the Minister, in Canada, engage in any of the following activities, namely,
(i) collecting, manipulating and transmitting
(ii) providing advisory or other services in the design, development or implementation of information management systems,
(iii) designing, developing or marketing computer software, and
(iv) designing, developing, manufacturing or selling, as an ancillary activity to any activity referred to in any of subparagraphs (i) to (iii) that the bank is engaging in, computer equipment integral to the provision of information services related to the business of financial institutions or to the provision of financial services;
(c.1) with the prior written approval of the Minister, develop, design, hold, manage, manufacture, sell or otherwise deal with data transmission systems, information sites, communication devices or information platforms or portals that are used
(c.2) engage, under prescribed terms and conditions, if any are prescribed, in specialized business management or advisory services;
(d) promote merchandise and services to the holders of any payment, credit or charge card issued by the bank;
(e) engage in the sale of
(i) tickets, including lottery tickets, on a non-profit public service basis in connection with special, temporary and infrequent non-commercial celebrations or projects that are of local, municipal, provincial or national interest,
(ii) urban transit tickets, and
(iii) tickets in respect of a lottery sponsored by the federal government or a provincial or municipal government or an agency of any such government or governments;
(f) act as a custodian of property;
(g) act as receiver, liquidator or sequestrator; and
(h) provide identification, authentication or verification services.
(2) Except as authorized by or under this Act, a bank shall not deal in goods, wares or merchandise or engage in any trade or other business.
(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) respecting what a bank may or may not do with respect to the carrying on of the activities referred to in paragraphs (1)(c) to (c.2);
(b) imposing terms and conditions in respect of
(c) respecting the circumstances in which banks may be exempted from the requirement to obtain the approval of the Minister before carrying on a particular activity referred to in paragraph (1)(c) or (c.1).
- 1991, c. 46, s. 410
- 1993, c. 34, s. 8(F)
- 1997, c. 15, s. 42
- 2001, c. 9, s. 100
- 2018, c. 12, s. 316
- Date modified: