PART 5Applications (continued)
Exceptions to General Procedure (continued)
Marginal note:Summary application under Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Commencing the application
(2) The application shall be commenced by a notice of summary application in Form 316.2.
- SOR/2013-18, s. 10.
Material in the Possession of a Tribunal
Marginal note:Material from tribunal
317 (1) A party may request material relevant to an application that is in the possession of a tribunal whose order is the subject of the application and not in the possession of the party by serving on the tribunal and filing a written request, identifying the material requested.
Marginal note:Request in notice of application
(2) An applicant may include a request under subsection (1) in its notice of application.
Marginal note:Service of request
(3) If an applicant does not include a request under subsection (1) in its notice of application, the applicant shall serve the request on the other parties.
- SOR/2002-417, s. 19;
- SOR/2006-219, s. 11(F).
Marginal note:Material to be transmitted
Marginal note:Objection by tribunal
(2) Where a tribunal or party objects to a request under rule 317, the tribunal or the party shall inform all parties and the Administrator, in writing, of the reasons for the objection.
Marginal note:Directions as to procedure
(3) The Court may give directions to the parties and to a tribunal as to the procedure for making submissions with respect to an objection under subsection (2).
(4) The Court may, after hearing submissions with respect to an objection under subsection (2), order that a certified copy, or the original, of all or part of the material requested be forwarded to the Registry.
Marginal note:Return of material
319 Unless the Court directs otherwise, after an application has been heard, the Administrator shall return to a tribunal any original material received from it under rule 318.
References from a Tribunal
Definition of reference
Marginal note:Procedures on applications apply
(2) Subject to rules 321 to 323, rules 309 to 311 apply to references.
Marginal note:Notice of application on reference
321 A notice of application in respect of a reference shall set out
(a) the name of the court to which the application is addressed;
(b) the name of the applicant; and
(c) the question being referred.
- SOR/2004-283, s. 36.
Marginal note:Directions on reference
322 Where the Attorney General of Canada or a tribunal makes a reference, the Attorney General or tribunal shall bring an ex parte motion for directions as to
(a) which persons shall be given notice of the reference;
(b) the material that will constitute the case to be determined on the reference;
(c) the preparation, filing and service of copies of the material;
(d) the preparation, filing and service of memoranda of fact and law;
(e) the procedure for the hearing of the reference;
(f) the time and place for the hearing of the reference; and
(g) the role, if any, of the tribunal in question.
Marginal note:Notice of intention to become party
323 Any of the following persons may become a party to a reference by serving and filing a notice of intention to participate in Form 323:
(a) the Attorney General of Canada;
(b) the attorney general of a province, for the purpose of adducing evidence or making submissions to the Court under subsection 57(4) of the Act; and
(c) a person who participated in the proceeding before the tribunal in respect of which the reference is made.
Marginal note:Notice of application
(2) Where the subject matter of an arbitration to which a request under the Code relates is already the subject matter of a proceeding before the Court, the request may be brought as a motion in that proceeding.
(3) An affidavit in support of a notice of application under subsection (1) or a motion under subsection (2) shall be accompanied by a copy of the parties' arbitration agreement and state
(a) all material facts;
(b) unless the request is brought pursuant to article 8(1) or 9 of the Code, that the arbitration to which the request relates is governed by Canadian law or has been, is being or will be held within the jurisdiction of the Court; and
(c) where the request is brought pursuant to article 27 of the Code, the nature of the evidence to be obtained, the name and address of any person to be heard as a witness and the subject-matter of any testimony required from that person, and describe any document to be produced or property to be inspected.
- 2012, c. 26, s. 27.
Marginal note:Procedure of province to apply
325 (1) Unless the Court orders otherwise, where the Court makes a direction pursuant to subsection 3(3) or 5(3) of the Divorce Act, the rules made under section 25 of that Act for the province specified in the direction pursuant to subsection 23(2) of that Act shall apply to the conduct of the proceeding in the Court, with such modifications as the circumstances require.
Marginal note:Motion for modification of rules
(2) A party to a proceeding referred to in subsection (1) may at any time, by motion, request a modification to the rules referred to in that subsection.
Foreign Judgments and Arbitral Awards
326 The following definitions apply to rules 327 to 334.
arbitration agreement means an agreement in writing as defined in article II of the convention set out in the schedule to the United Nations Foreign Arbitral Awards Convention Act or an arbitration agreement as defined in Article 7 of the Commercial Arbitration Code, set out in Schedule 1 to the Commercial Arbitration Act. (convention d'arbitrage)
foreign judgment means a judgment or arbitral award that may be registered in a court in Canada in accordance with
- SOR/2004-283, s. 39;
- 2012, c. 26, s. 27.
- Date modified: