PART 7Revision of Lists of Electors (continued)
Revised Lists of Electors and Official Lists of Electors (continued)
Marginal note:Official list of electors
106 Each returning officer shall, without delay after the 7th day before polling day but no later than the 3rd day before polling day, prepare the official list of electors for each polling division for use on polling day.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 106;
- 2014, c. 12, s. 36.
Marginal note:Form of lists
Marginal note:Transmittal of list
(2) Each returning officer shall deliver to each deputy returning officer the revised list of electors or official list of electors, as the case may be, that the deputy returning officer needs to conduct the vote in his or her respective advance polling station or polling station. The list shall indicate each elector’s sex and year of birth.
Marginal note:Transmittal to candidates
(3) Each returning officer shall deliver to each candidate a printed copy and a copy in electronic form of a version of the revised lists of electors and the official lists of electors that does not indicate an elector’s sex or year of birth.
Marginal note:Extra copies
(4) On the request of a candidate, the returning officer may provide a maximum of four additional printed copies of the revised lists of electors and the official lists of electors.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 107;
- 2007, c. 21, s. 18;
- 2014, c. 12, s. 37.
Merger of Polling Divisions
Marginal note:Merger of polling divisions
108 (1) After the end of the revision period, the returning officer may, with the prior approval of the Chief Electoral Officer, merge a polling division with an adjacent polling division in the same electoral district.
Marginal note:Official list
(2) The lists of electors for the merging polling divisions are deemed to be the official list of electors for the polling division that results from the merger.
Final Lists of Electors
Marginal note:Final list of electors
Marginal note:Delivery of final lists to member and parties
(2) The Chief Electoral Officer shall deliver a printed copy and a copy in electronic form of the final lists of electors for each electoral district to each registered party that endorsed a candidate in the electoral district and to the member who was elected for the electoral district.
Marginal note:Extra copies
(3) On the request of a registered party or member referred to in subsection (2), the Chief Electoral Officer may provide a maximum of four additional printed copies of the final lists of electors.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 109;
- 2001, c. 21, s. 11.
Use of Lists of Electors
Marginal note:Registered parties
110 (1) A registered party that, under section 45, subsection 93(1.1) or section 109, receives a copy of lists of electors may use the lists for communicating with electors, including using them for soliciting contributions and recruiting party members.
Marginal note:Eligible parties
(1.1) An eligible party that, under subsection 93(1.1), receives a copy of preliminary lists of electors may use the lists for communicating with electors, including using them for soliciting contributions and recruiting party members.
(2) A member who, under section 45 or 109, receives a copy of lists of electors or final lists of electors, respectively, may use the lists for
(3) A candidate who receives a copy of the preliminary lists of electors under section 94 or 104.1, or a copy of the revised lists of electors or the official lists of electors under subsection 107(3), may use the lists for communicating with his or her electors during an election period, including using them for soliciting contributions and campaigning.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 110;
- 2007, c. 21, s. 19;
- 2014, c. 12, s. 38.
Marginal note:Prohibitions in relation to lists of electors
111 No person shall
(a) wilfully apply to be included in a list of electors in a name that is not his or her own;
(b) wilfully apply, except as authorized by this Act, to be included in a list of electors for a polling division if he or she is already included in a list of electors for another polling division, which list was prepared for use at the same election;
(c) wilfully apply, except as authorized by this Act, to be included in a list of electors for a polling division in which the person is not ordinarily resident;
(d) apply to have included in a list of electors for an electoral district the name of a person, knowing that the person is not qualified as an elector or entitled to vote in the electoral district;
(d.1) compel, induce or attempt to compel or induce any other person to make a false or misleading statement relating to that other person’s qualification as an elector for the purposes of the inclusion of that other person’s name in a list of electors;
(e) wilfully apply to have included in a list of electors the name of an animal or thing; or
(f) knowingly use personal information that is recorded in a list of electors for a purpose other than
- 2000, c. 9, s. 111;
- 2014, c. 12, s. 39;
- 2018, c. 31, s. 74.
PART 8Preparation for the Vote
List of Deputy Returning Officers
Marginal note:List of deputies to candidates
112 (1) A returning officer shall, at least three days before polling day, post in his or her office, and provide to each candidate or candidate’s representative, a list of the names and addresses of all the deputy returning officers and poll clerks appointed to act in the electoral district, with the number of the polling station at which each is to act.
Marginal note:Access to list
(2) The returning officer shall permit access to, and give full opportunity for the inspection of, the list referred to in subsection (1) by interested persons at any reasonable time.
Marginal note:Delivery to returning officers
113 The Chief Electoral Officer, at any time before the issue of the writ or immediately after the issue of it, shall deliver to the returning officer sufficient quantities of election materials and the necessary instructions for the election officers to perform their duties.
Marginal note:Ballot boxes
Marginal note:Material of ballot box
(2) Each ballot box shall be of the size and shape and made of the material determined by the Chief Electoral Officer and be constructed to allow seals for the use of the returning officers and deputy returning officers to be affixed.
Marginal note:Ballot paper
115 (1) As soon as possible after the issue of the writ, the Chief Electoral Officer shall provide the returning officer with the paper on which the ballots are to be printed. The weight and opacity of the paper shall be determined by the Chief Electoral Officer.
Marginal note:Printing material
(2) Before the closing day for nominations, the Chief Electoral Officer shall deliver to every returning officer the printing material prepared for that election for the purpose of printing the year and the name of the electoral district on the back of the ballot.
Marginal note:Ballot printed in Form 3
Marginal note:Form of ballot
(2) Ballots shall have a counterfoil and a stub, with a line of perforations between the ballot and the counterfoil and between the counterfoil and the stub.
Marginal note:Numbering of ballots
(3) The ballots shall be numbered on the back of the stub and the counterfoil, and the same number shall be printed on the stub as on the counterfoil.
Marginal note:Books of ballots
(4) Ballots shall be in books containing an appropriate number of ballots.
Marginal note:Obligation re: ballots, ballot paper
(5) Each printer shall return all of the ballots and all of the unused paper on which the ballots were to have been printed, to the returning officer.
Marginal note:Printer’s name and affidavit
(6) Ballots shall bear the name of the printer who, on delivering them to the returning officer, shall include an affidavit in the prescribed form that sets out a description of the ballots, the number of ballots delivered to the returning officer and the fact that all ballots were provided, and all paper returned, as required by subsection (5).
- 2000, c. 9, s. 116;
- 2018, c. 31, s. 79(F).
- Date modified: