PART 10Advance Polling (continued)
Establishment of Advance Polling Stations (continued)
Transfer Certificates (continued)
Marginal note:Transfer certificate for elector with disability
168.2 (1) An elector who has a disability and is therefore unable to vote without difficulty in his or her advance polling station may apply for a transfer certificate to vote at another advance polling station in the same electoral district.
Marginal note:Application requirements
(2) The application shall be made in accordance with the Chief Electoral Officer’s instructions.
Marginal note:Issue of transfer certificate to elector with disability
(3) An election officer shall issue a transfer certificate in the prescribed form, and provide the certificate to the person who submitted the application to the officer, if the officer is satisfied that the elector’s name appears on the revised list of electors for the electoral district.
- 2018, c. 31, s. 116
Marginal note:Signing, numbering and recording transfer certificate
168.3 The election officer who issues a transfer certificate shall
(a) fill in and sign the certificate and mention on it the date of its issue;
(b) consecutively number the certificate in the order of its issue;
(c) keep a record of the certificate in the order of its issue on the prescribed form;
(d) not issue the certificate in blank; and
(e) if possible, send a copy of the certificate to an election officer who is assigned to the advance polling station on whose list of electors appears the name of the person to whom the certificate has been issued.
- 2018, c. 31, s. 116
Marginal note:Registration at advance polling station
169 (1) Every elector whose name is not on the revised list of electors may register in person, at the advance polling station where the elector is entitled to vote, before an election officer who is assigned to that advance polling station.
(2) An elector shall not be registered unless he or she
(a) provides as proof of his or her identity and residence the piece or pieces of identification referred to in paragraph 143(2)(a) or (b), respectively, the piece or one of those pieces containing an address that proves his or her residence; or
(b) proves his or her identity and residence by making the solemn declaration referred to in subsection 549.1(1) in writing and is accompanied by another elector whose name appears on the list of electors for the same polling station and who
(i) provides the piece or pieces of identification referred to in paragraph 143(2)(a) or (b), respectively, the piece or one of those pieces containing either an address that proves that other elector’s residence or an address that is consistent with information related to that other elector that appears on the list of electors, and
(ii) vouches for the elector by making the solemn declaration referred to in subsection 549.1(2) in writing.
Marginal note:Vouching for electors in long-term care institution
(2.01) If an elector who resides in an institution for seniors or persons with a disability wishes to prove his or her identity and residence under subsection (2), the other elector referred to in paragraph (2)(b) who accompanies him or her may be an employee of the institution who resides — despite that paragraph — in any polling division in the elector’s electoral district or an adjacent electoral district.
Marginal note:Definition of employee
(2.02) In subsection (2.01), employee includes an owner of the institution and any person who occupies a management position at the institution.
Marginal note:Examination of identification documents
(2.1) The representative of a candidate may examine but not handle any piece of identification provided by the elector.
Marginal note:Registration certificate
(3) If the elector satisfies the requirements of subsection (2), an election officer who is assigned to the advance polling station shall complete a registration certificate in the prescribed form authorizing the elector to vote and the elector shall sign it. The registration certificate shall include a solemn declaration made by the elector that he or she is qualified as an elector under section 3.
(4) An election officer who is assigned to the advance polling station shall indicate on the prescribed form the names of the electors who are permitted to vote under this section.
Marginal note:Prohibition — registration at advance polling station
(4.1) It is prohibited for any person to
(a) knowingly apply to be registered at an advance polling station in a name that is not their own;
(b) knowingly apply, except as authorized by this Act, to be registered at an advance polling station to vote in an advance polling district in which they are not ordinarily resident;
(c) apply to be registered at an advance polling station to vote in an electoral district knowing that they are not qualified as an elector or entitled to vote in the electoral district; or
(d) compel, induce or attempt to compel or induce any other person to make a false or misleading statement relating to that other person’s qualification as an elector for the purposes of the registration of that other person at an advance polling station.
(5) [Repealed, 2018, c. 31, s. 117]
(6) [Repealed, 2018, c. 31, s. 117]
- 2000, c. 9, s. 169
- 2007, c. 21, s. 30, c. 37, s. 3
- 2014, c. 12, s. 54
- 2018, c. 31, s. 117
Marginal note:Requirement before making solemn declaration — elector
169.1 (1) If a person decides to prove his or her identity and residence by making the solemn declaration referred to in subsection 549.1(1) in writing, an election officer shall, before the person makes the solemn declaration, advise him or her in writing of the qualifications for electors and the penalty that may be imposed under this Act on a person who contravenes subsection 169(4.1) or 549(3).
Marginal note:Requirement before making solemn declaration — vouching for elector
(2) If a person decides to vouch for an elector by making the solemn declaration referred to in subsection 549.1(2) in writing, an election officer shall, before the person makes the solemn declaration, advise him or her in writing of the penalty that may be imposed under this Act on a person who contravenes any of subsections 282.1(1) to (3) or 549(3).
- 2007, c. 21, s. 31
- 2014, c. 12, s. 55
- 2018, c. 31, s. 118
Marginal note:List deemed to be modified
170 When a registration certificate is completed and signed in accordance with subsection 169(3), the list of electors is deemed to have been modified in accordance with the certificate.
Marginal note:Conduct of advance polls
171 (1) Except as provided in this Part, an advance poll shall be conducted in the same manner as the manner in which the vote at a polling station on polling day is conducted and shall be regarded as such for all purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:When advance polling stations to be open
(2) An advance polling station shall be open from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, the 10th, 9th, 8th and 7th days, respectively, before polling day, and shall not be open at any other time.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 171
- 2014, c. 12, s. 56
- 2018, c. 31, s. 119
Marginal note:Notice of advance poll
(a) give a notice, in the prescribed form, in the electoral district of the advance poll, that sets out the following information:
(i) the numbers of the polling divisions in every advance polling district established by the returning officer,
(ii) the location of each advance polling station,
(iii) the place where, for each advance polling station, an election officer who is assigned to the advance polling station shall count the number of votes cast at the advance polling station, and
(iv) that the counting of the votes cast shall begin on polling day as soon after the close of the polling stations as possible or, with the Chief Electoral Officer’s prior approval, one hour before the close of the polling stations;
(b) send two copies of the notice to each candidate and to the Chief Electoral Officer; and
(c) make available to each candidate in the electoral district a map of the electoral district indicating the boundaries of each advance polling district and the location of each advance polling station.
Marginal note:Maps made available to registered parties
(2) The Chief Electoral Officer shall, not later than Saturday, the 16th day before polling day, make available to each registered party maps of each electoral district — in electronic form or in formats that include electronic form — indicating the boundaries of each advance polling district within the electoral district and the location of each advance polling station.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 172
- 2018, c. 31, s. 120
- Date modified: