PART 11Special Voting Rules (continued)
DIVISION 2Canadian Forces Electors (continued)
Statement of Ordinary Residence (continued)
Marginal note:Statement to be sent to Chief Electoral Officer
196 (1) The original of a statement of ordinary residence of an elector, other than a statement completed under section 195, shall be sent to the Chief Electoral Officer and a copy of that original shall be kept in the unit in which the elector is serving.
(2) On receiving the statement of ordinary residence, the Chief Electoral Officer shall
Marginal note:Retention of validated statement
(3) On receiving the statement of ordinary residence, the commanding officer shall destroy the copy kept under subsection (1) and keep the validated original with the elector’s unit service documents.
Marginal note:Prior statements to be destroyed
(4) On receiving the validated statement of ordinary residence, the commanding officer may destroy any other original or copy of a statement of ordinary residence that was filed with the elector’s unit service documents.
Marginal note:Filing of reservists’ statements
197 A statement of ordinary residence completed by a member of the reserve force of the Canadian Forces under section 195 shall be filed with the unit in which the member is on full-time training or service or active service, as the case may be.
Marginal note:Retention of statements
198 Statements of ordinary residence shall be retained for a period of one year after a person ceases to be entitled to vote under this Division and may be destroyed at the end of that period.
199 (1) The Minister of National Defence shall designate a person as a coordinating officer to work, during and between elections, with the Chief Electoral Officer in carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Division.
(2) The coordinating officer shall, on request, provide to the Chief Electoral Officer the following information relating to each elector:
Steps to Prepare for Vote
Marginal note:Duties of Chief Electoral Officer
200 Without delay after the issue of the writs, the Chief Electoral Officer shall inform the Minister of National Defence and the coordinating officer of their issue and of the location of voting territories and administrative centres.
Marginal note:Duties of Minister of National Defence
201 On being informed of the issue of the writs, the Minister of National Defence shall designate one or more electors to act as liaison officers for the vote.
Marginal note:Duties of coordinating officer
202 On being informed of the issue of the writs, the coordinating officer shall
(a) inform each commanding officer of their issue; and
(b) inform the Chief Electoral Officer of the name and address of each liaison officer.
Marginal note:Duty of liaison officers to communicate with unit
203 (1) On being designated, a liaison officer shall communicate with each commanding officer in respect of whose unit the liaison officer has liaison duties, with respect to any matter that relates to the vote.
Marginal note:Duty to cooperate with Chief Electoral Officer
(2) A liaison officer shall cooperate with the Chief Electoral Officer in the administration of the vote.
Duties of Commanding Officers
Marginal note:Contents of notice
(2) The notice shall notify electors that an election has been called and of the date of polling day and shall inform the electors that
Marginal note:Contents of list
(3) The list shall be arranged alphabetically and shall indicate each elector’s surname, given names, sex and rank, and
Marginal note:Duties of commanding officer
(a) establish polling stations;
(b) designate an elector as the deputy returning officer for each polling station;
(c) through a liaison officer, provide the Chief Electoral Officer with a list of the designated deputy returning officers and their ranks, and sufficient copies of the list of electors for the unit; and
(d) provide the designated deputy returning officers with a copy of the list of electors for the unit.
(2) Each commanding officer shall provide the facilities that are necessary to enable the electors to vote in accordance with this Division.
Marginal note:Voting times
(3) Each commanding officer shall fix the voting times so that the polling stations in his or her unit are open for at least three hours a day on at least three days during the voting period.
Marginal note:Mobile polling station
206 (1) A commanding officer may establish a mobile polling station in any area for the purpose of collecting the votes of electors who cannot conveniently reach polling stations established at their unit.
Marginal note:Opening period
(2) A mobile polling station shall remain in an area and be open for the collection of votes for the days and hours during the voting period that the commanding officer considers necessary to give electors in the area a reasonable opportunity to vote.
Marginal note:Joint polling stations
207 The commanding officers of units that are in the same locality may establish one polling station for all electors in their units, if the commanding officers consider that it would be expedient for the purposes of this Division.
Marginal note:Notice of polling stations and voting times
208 During each of three or more days before the voting period and on each day on which the vote is held, each commanding officer shall publish in his or her unit’s orders and put in a conspicuous place a notice that states
(a) the days on which the electors may vote;
(b) the precise location of, and the voting hours at, each polling station, other than a mobile polling station; and
(c) in the case of a mobile polling station, its location and the anticipated period during which it is to remain at that location.
Marginal note:Election materials
209 On receiving election materials and the list of candidates, each commanding officer shall
- Date modified: