Part IV — Personnel Licensing and Training (continued)
Subpart 4 — Medical Requirements (continued)
Division V — Medical Examiners (continued)
Examination for Renewal of a Medical Certificate or for Permission to Continue to Exercise the Privileges of a Permit, Licence or Rating
404.18 When the holder of a medical certificate undergoes a medical examination by a physician referred to in paragraph 404.16(a) or (b) for the purpose of renewing his or her certificate or obtaining permission to continue to exercise the privileges of his or her permit, licence or rating, the physician shall
(a) sign and date the medical certificate and stamp it with his or her official stamp indicating that the holder is “fit” and return the medical certificate to the holder; or
(b) advise the holder that he or she is “unfit” and return the medical certificate to the holder.
- SOR/2003-129, s. 9
- SOR/2007-229, s. 6
Subpart 5 — Flight Training
Division I — General
(2) Any reference in this Subpart to the personnel licensing standards is a reference to Standard 425 — Flight Training.
- SOR/2019-119, s. 47
405.02 This Subpart applies in respect of the conduct of flight training using an aeroplane, helicopter, glider, balloon, gyroplane or ultra-light aeroplane.
Division II — Flight Training Program
Flight Training Program
405.11 No person shall conduct flight training unless the flight training program is in accordance with the requirements of Subpart 1 in respect of
(a) the initial issuance of a permit, licence or rating;
(b) the renewal of a rating; and
(c) a flight review.
Flight Training Program Approval
405.12 Where a syllabus for a flight training program is not set out in the Personnel Licensing and Training Standards respecting Flight Crew Permits, Licences and Ratings, the Minister shall approve a proposed syllabus for a flight training program if the program meets those standards.
Flight Training Program Outline
405.13 A person who conducts flight training using an aeroplane or helicopter shall provide to each trainee, at the time of commencing a flight training program referred to in section 405.11, a flight training program outline that meets the personnel licensing standards.
Flight Training Program Requirements
405.14 Flight training that is conducted using an aeroplane or helicopter shall be conducted in accordance with the applicable flight instructor guide and flight training manual or equivalent document and the applicable training manual on human factors.
Division III — Personnel and Aircraft
Qualifications of Flight Instructors
(2) In cases where a qualified gyroplane flight instructor is not available, a person may conduct the gyroplane training that has to be acquired to satisfy the experience requirement for the issuance of a pilot permit — gyroplane if the person obtains a written authorization from the Minister to conduct the training in accordance with subsection 421.84(4) of the personnel licensing standards.
(3) A person who conducts flight training toward the issuance of an aircraft type rating may, in the case of training for a holder of a pilot permit — gyroplane, obtain a written authorization from the Minister to conduct the flight training in accordance with paragraph 425.21(7)(c) of the personnel licensing standards if the authorization is in the public interest and is not likely to affect aviation safety.
(4) A person who conducts flight training toward the issuance of an aircraft type rating may, in the case of training for a holder of a student pilot permit — gyroplane, obtain a written authorization from the Minister to conduct the flight training in accordance with paragraph 425.21(7)(d) of the personnel licensing standards if the authorization is in the public interest and is not likely to affect aviation safety.
(5) A person who conducts ground school instruction toward the issuance of a flight instructor rating may obtain a written authorization from the Minister to conduct the ground school instruction in accordance with the personnel licensing standards.
- SOR/2006-352, s. 13
405.22 No person shall conduct flight training in an aircraft unless the person is familiar with the flight characteristics, operating limitations and operational performance data specified in the aircraft flight manual or equivalent document.
Training Aircraft Requirements
405.23 No person shall operate a training aircraft unless the aircraft meets the personnel licensing standards.
Flight Training at Aerodrome
405.24 No person shall operate a training aircraft at an aerodrome unless the aerodrome is suitable for the aircraft
(a) to be safely operated within the operating limitations and operational performance data specified in the aircraft flight manual or equivalent document
(i) allowing for the actual aircraft weight and existing air temperature and wind conditions,
(ii) with the power plant operation and landing gear and flap operation, if applicable, recommended by the manufacturer, and
(iii) with smooth transition from take-off to the best rate-of-climb speed using normal piloting skills; and
(b) in the case of a helicopter, to carry out normal transitions from the hover to forward flight and from forward flight to the hover.
Division IV — Flight Training Operations
Training Flight Briefings
405.31 No person shall commence a training flight unless the trainee has received from the flight instructor
(a) a pre-flight briefing; and
(b) where new flight exercises are to be conducted during the flight, preparatory ground instruction.
Authorization of Training Flight
405.32 Before the commencement of a training flight, the flight instructor who will conduct or supervise the training shall
(a) authorize the training flight; and
(b) receive an acknowledgement of that authorization from the trainee.
Pilot Training Record
405.33 (1) A person who conducts flight training for the issuance of a private pilot licence, a commercial pilot licence or a flight instructor rating — aeroplane or helicopter shall, for each trainee, maintain a pilot training record that meets the personnel licensing standards.
(2) On request from a trainee receiving training for the purposes referred to in subsection (1), the person responsible for maintaining the trainee’s pilot training record shall
(3) When a trainee has completed flight training, including all of the tests and written examinations required pursuant to Subpart 1, the person who conducted the flight training shall forward the trainee’s pilot training record to the Minister.
Subpart 6 — Flight Training Units
Division I — General
(2) Any reference in this Subpart to the personnel licensing standards is a reference to Standard 426 – Personnel Licensing and Training – Flight Training Units.
- SOR/2005-173, s. 9
406.02 This Subpart applies in respect of the operation of an aeroplane, helicopter, glider, balloon, gyroplane or ultra-light aeroplane in a flight training service toward obtaining any of the following:
(a) for aeroplanes,
(i) a private pilot licence,
(ii) a commercial pilot licence,
(iii) a landplane or seaplane rating,
(iv) a flight instructor rating,
(v) a flight instructor rating — aerobatic,
(vi) an instrument rating,
(vii) a multi-engine class rating,
(viii) a night rating,
(ix) a VFR over-the-top rating,
(x) a pilot permit — recreational, or
(xi) experience in aerobatic manoeuvres;
(b) for helicopters,
(c) for gliders,
(d) for balloons,
(e) for gyroplanes,
(f) for ultra-light aeroplanes,
- SOR/2005-319, s. 6
- SOR/2006-352, s. 14
- Date modified: