(a) the external agent holds an AMO certificate with a rating of a category specified pursuant to section 573.02 that is appropriate to the type of work to be performed or the aeronautical product to be maintained;
(b) where the work is to be performed outside Canada, the external agent has been authorized to do the type of work to be performed or to perform maintenance on the type of aeronautical product to be maintained under the laws of a state that is party to an agreement with Canada and the agreement provides for the recognition of maintenance functions; or
(c) in all other cases, the performance of the maintenance by the person or organization has been approved by the Minister as being in conformity with these Regulations.
(2) Subject to subsection (4), an AMO certificate holder may permit work to be performed by an external agent other than an agent described in subsection (1) where the work is performed in accordance with an arrangement that provides for it, under the direct supervision of the person appointed pursuant to section 573.03 or 573.04 and certified by persons authorized to do so in accordance with the approved procedures set out in the AMO’s maintenance policy manual (MPM).
(3) Arrangements respecting work to be performed by external agents pursuant to subsection (2) shall be made in accordance with procedures governing maintenance arrangements set out in the MPM or, if no such procedures are set out in the MPM, shall be approved by the Minister as ensuring conformity with the requirements of this Subpart.
(4) An AMO certificate holder that requests an external agent to perform work shall
(a) where the work is to be performed pursuant to subsection (1) or (2), be responsible for specifying the tasks to be performed by the agent and ensuring completion of the work; and
(b) where the work is to be performed pursuant to subsection (2), be responsible for ensuring the conformity of that work with the requirements of Subpart 71.
(5) A maintenance arrangement that is made by a foreign air operator to have its maintenance done in Canada by a person or organization that holds an AMO certificate issued pursuant to section 573.02 shall be authorized by a maintenance specification issued to the AMO in accordance with the requirements of Standard 573—Approved Maintenance Organizations, where the air operator is from a state that
(a) is party to an agreement with Canada that provides for recognition of the work performed and the issuance of a maintenance specification is specified in the agreement; or
(b) is not party to an agreement with Canada that provides for recognition of the work performed and the issuance of a maintenance specification is requested by that state.
- SOR/2005-173, s.28.
Service Difficulty Reporting
573.12 The holder of an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate shall report to the Minister, in accordance with Division IX of Subpart 21 of Part V, any reportable service difficulty related to an aeronautical product being maintained.
- SOR/2009-280, s. 32.
573.13 An application submitted by a maintenance organization for the issuance or amendment of an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate authorizing the performance of work in facilities located outside Canada is granted if
(a) the applicant has demonstrated that the issuance of the approval in respect of those facilities is in the public interest as provided for in subsection 6.71(1) of the Act;
(b) the applicant has recognized by advance agreement the Minister’s right to enter and inspect those facilities and seize anything found in those facilities, under the same conditions as would govern the exercise of the Minister’s powers pursuant to subsection 8.7(1) of the Act if the facilities were located in Canada;
(c) the AMO has agreed to reimburse the Minister for any expenses incurred by Department of Transport personnel in carrying out the activities provided for in paragraph (b) in respect of those facilities; and
(d) in the case of an AMO whose facilities are located outside Canada, the Minister specifies on the AMO certificate the date on which the certificate expires.
Identification of an AMO
(2) A person who holds an AMO certificate issued in accordance with this Subpart shall not include, in a list of approved maintenance services offered for aeronautical products, a service that is outside the scope of the person’s AMO certificate.
573.15 An approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate holder shall maintain records in accordance with section 573.15 of Standard 573 — Approved Maintenance Organizations for work performed on all aeronautical products maintained and keep those records for at least two years beginning on the date that the maintenance release was signed.
- SOR/2003-122, s. 4.
Division II — Safety Management System
573.30 The safety management system required under section 107.02 in respect of an applicant for, or a holder of, an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate authorizing the holder to perform maintenance on an aircraft operated under Subpart 5 of Part VII shall
(a) meet the requirements of Subpart 7 of Part I and section 573.31; and
(b) be under the control of the person responsible for maintenance appointed under paragraph 573.03(1)(a).
- SOR/2005-173, s. 20.
Components of the Safety Management System
(a) a safety management plan that includes
(i) a safety policy that the accountable executive has approved and communicated to all employees,
(ii) the roles and responsibilities of personnel assigned duties under the quality assurance program established under subsection 573.09(1) or the safety management system,
(iii) performance goals and a means of measuring attainment of those goals,
(iv) a policy for the internal reporting of a hazard, an incident or an accident, including the conditions under which immunity from disciplinary action will be granted, and
(v) a review of the safety management system to determine its effectiveness;
(b) procedures for reporting a hazard, an incident or an accident to the appropriate manager;
(c) procedures for the collection of data relating to hazards, incidents and accidents;
(d) procedures for analysing data obtained under paragraph (c) and during an audit conducted under subsection 573.09(3) and for taking corrective actions;
(e) an audit system referred to in subsection 573.09(3);
(f) training requirements for the person responsible for maintenance and for personnel assigned duties under the safety management system; and
(g) procedures for making progress reports to the accountable executive at intervals determined by the accountable executive and other reports as needed in urgent cases.
(2) The components specified in subsection (1) shall be set out in the approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate holder's maintenance policy manual (MPM).
- SOR/2005-173, s. 20.
Person Managing the Safety Management System
573.32 The person managing the safety management system in respect of an approved maintenance organization (AMO) shall
(a) establish and maintain a reporting system to ensure the timely collection of information related to hazards, incidents and accidents that may adversely affect safety;
(b) identify hazards and carry out risk management analyses of those hazards;
(c) investigate, analyze and identify the cause or probable cause of all hazards, incidents and accidents identified under the safety management system;
(d) establish and maintain a safety data system, by either electronic or other means, to monitor and analyze trends in hazards, incidents and accidents;
(e) monitor and evaluate the results of corrective actions with respect to hazards, incidents and accidents;
(f) monitor the concerns of the civil aviation industry in respect of safety and their perceived effect on the AMO;
(g) determine the adequacy of the training required by paragraph 573.31(1)(f); and
(h) where the person responsible for maintenance has assigned the management functions for the safety management system under subsection 573.04(4) to another person, report to the person responsible for maintenance the hazards, incidents and accidents identified under the safety management system required under section 573.30 or as a result of an audit required under paragraph 573.31(1)(e).
- SOR/2005-173, s. 20.
- Date modified: