Marginal note:Production order — financial or commercial information
487.013 (1) A justice or judge may order a financial institution, as defined in section 2 of the Bank Act, or a person or entity referred to in section 5 of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act, unless they are under investigation for an offence referred to in paragraph (4)(a), to produce in writing the account number of a person named in the order or the name of a person whose account number is specified in the order, the status and type of the account, and the date on which it was opened or closed.
Marginal note:Identification of person named in the order
(2) For the purpose of confirming the identity of the person named in the order or whose account number is specified in the order, the production order may require the financial institution, person or entity to produce that person’s date of birth, current address and any previous addresses.
Marginal note:Production to peace officer
(3) The order shall require the information to be produced within the time, at the place and in the form specified and given
(a) to a peace officer named in the order; or
(b) to a public officer named in the order, who has been appointed or designated to administer or enforce a federal or provincial law and whose duties include the enforcement of this or any other Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Conditions for issuance of order
(4) Before making an order, the justice or judge must be satisfied, on the basis of an ex parte application containing information on oath in writing, that there are reasonable grounds to suspect that
(a) an offence against this Act or any other Act of Parliament has been or will be committed;
(b) the information will assist in the investigation of the offence; and
(c) the institution, person or entity that is subject to the order has possession or control of the information.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions
(5) The order may contain any terms and conditions that the justice or judge considers advisable in the circumstances, including terms and conditions to protect a privileged communication between a lawyer and their client or, in the province of Quebec, between a lawyer or a notary and their client.
Marginal note:Power to revoke, renew or vary order
(6) The justice or judge who made the order, or a judge of the same territorial division, may revoke, renew or vary the order on an ex parte application made by the peace officer or public officer named in the order.
- 2004, c. 3, s. 7.
Marginal note:Power of peace officer
487.014 (1) For greater certainty, no production order is necessary for a peace officer or public officer enforcing or administering this or any other Act of Parliament to ask a person to voluntarily provide to the officer documents, data or information that the person is not prohibited by law from disclosing.
Marginal note:Application of section 25
(2) A person who provides documents, data or information in the circumstances referred to in subsection (1) is deemed to be authorized to do so for the purposes of section 25.
- 2004, c. 3, s. 7.
- Date modified: