Marginal note:Sunset provision
83.32 (1) Sections 83.28, 83.29 and 83.3 cease to have effect at the end of the 15th sitting day of Parliament after the fifth anniversary of the coming into force of this subsection unless, before the end of that day, the operation of those sections is extended by resolution — whose text is established under subsection (2) — passed by both Houses of Parliament in accordance with the rules set out in subsection (3).
(1.1) A comprehensive review of sections 83.28, 83.29 and 83.3 and their operation shall be undertaken by any committee of the Senate, of the House of Commons or of both Houses of Parliament that may be designated or established by the Senate or the House of Commons, or by both Houses of Parliament, as the case may be, for that purpose.
(1.2) The committee referred to in subsection (1.1) shall, within a year after a review is undertaken under that subsection or within any further time that may be authorized by the Senate, the House of Commons or both Houses of Parliament, as the case may be, submit a report on the review to Parliament, including its recommendation with respect to extending the operation of section 83.28, 83.29 or 83.3.
Marginal note:Order in council
(2) The Governor in Council may, by order, establish the text of a resolution that provides for the extension of the operation of section 83.28, 83.29 or 83.3 and that specifies the period of the extension, which may not exceed five years from the first day on which the resolution has been passed by both Houses of Parliament.
(3) A motion for the adoption of the resolution may be debated in both Houses of Parliament but may not be amended. At the conclusion of the debate, the Speaker of the House of Parliament shall immediately put every question necessary to determine whether or not the motion is concurred in.
Marginal note:Subsequent extensions
(4) The operation of section 83.28, 83.29 or 83.3 may be further extended in accordance with the procedure set out in this section, but the reference to “the fifth anniversary of the coming into force of this subsection” in subsection (1) is to be read as a reference to “the expiry of the most recent extension under this section”.
Definition of “sitting day of Parliament”
(5) In subsection (1), “sitting day of Parliament” means a day on which both Houses of Parliament sit.
- 2001, c. 41, s. 4;
- 2013, c. 9, s. 12.
Marginal note:Transitional provision — sections 83.28 and 83.29
83.33 (1) In the event that sections 83.28 and 83.29 cease to have effect in accordance with section 83.32, proceedings commenced under those sections shall be completed if the hearing before the judge of the application made under subsection 83.28(2) began before those sections ceased to have effect.
Marginal note:Transitional provision — section 83.3
(2) In the event that section 83.3 ceases to have effect in accordance with section 83.32, a person detained in custody under section 83.3 shall be released when that section ceases to have effect, except that subsections 83.3(7) to (14) continue to apply to a person who was taken before a judge under subsection 83.3(6) before section 83.3 ceased to have effect.
- 2001, c. 41, s. 4;
- 2013, c. 9, s. 13.
- Date modified: